Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

"Why don't they build a player/amp from scratch???"

That's real easy to answer. It's called money.

The "Scarlet Book" license fee that SONY/Philips charge to market a SACD player is the first hurdle. Near to$30,000 when I last checked.

Then you have to buy decent transports, no cheap Philips junk unless you want serious recall problems, and you can't buy just a few a time. I talked with TEAC Esoteric a month ago and their lowest priced transport available now is $1500 each - with a minimum order of 100 pieces.

Now that is an outlay of $30,000 + $150,000 = $180,000 before you start selling anything, not counting all the other costs.

Maybe you have that banging around but I don't.

Even the best commercial products can be improved - there are many companies in Europe and the USA modifying Ferrari's, Porsche's and Benz's - and our succes to failure rate on the players we do work on is pretty good. Lots of great reports in this forum's archives, as well as those of our (respectable) competitors.

Regards, Allen

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • "Why don't they build a player/amp from scratch???" - Allen Wright 15:48:02 05/06/08 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.