Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Be careful...

Esoteric has introduced several transports lately. They are *not* all the same. The first was the VRDS-Neo as used in the X-01. The OEM pricing on this was around $4,000.

Apparently the laser used in that model was discontinued, so they started selling a "junior" version that was similar but with less "overkill" construction. This is what was used in the X-03 series products from Esoteric. The OEM cost for this transport was around $3000. I believe that this is what is used by dCS and Spectral.

But lately they have introduced two new drives. One has an OEM cost of $800 (with a metal tray). Other than the metal tray and the "vertically aligned laser" it appears to be quite ordinary. Both the spindle motor and the laser are on the bottom, just as any conventional transport.

The newest one has an OEM cost of $500. It has a plastic tray and a big plastic damping "puck" on top. Besides the size of the damping "puck", this is supposed to have the "vertically aligned laser". Otherwise it is quite ordinary and made from plastic and bent sheet metal.

So be sure to compare apples to apples. Esoteric calls *all* of these transports "VRDS-Neo", which is fairly misleading in my opinion.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.