Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: My Czech is in the mail

You are right about the intriguing sound and the CPO being one of the great orchestras of Europe. But orchestras and conductors have their ups and downs. I have some of the Supraphon LPs of Neumann's 1970s recordings of the Dvorak symphonies. I found them disappointing and never bought more. But these 1990s recordings seem to have caught the conductor and orchestra at their best.

I relistened to the 7th and 8th last night after posting. You made a good choice. The sound of the orchestra is special. The woodwinds often sound like bird calls, and the whooping horns like hunting calls. I think this is what Dvorak intended. He was, after all, a Bohemian peasant. His music is redolent of the Czech village and countryside.

But perhaps I am biased. My grandfather came to the US from Bohemia and brought his violin. My nephew is now playing the same violin. As you say, good fiddlin'! I hope you enjoy the performances as much as I do.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.