Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Unless We Speak About Specific Recordings...

What levels works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.

I think the reason folks cannot hear the use of the center or rear speakers on recordings is because they really aren't utilized, even if just for ambience. It more like reverb is occuring for lack of a better description. It's basically inaudible for those extra speakers a good number of times I'm finding out, lots more than you folks may think. I have brought out in the past recordings recordings that basically don't use the center. Specifically, Telarc's Zander Mahler 5th is one of those. I don't profess to have superman's hearing but I can tell when one recording does and others don't. :) The lack of the use of it I hold those recordings in much lesser esteem from the best MCH ones. I still search today for an audiophile Mahler 5th.

With classical music it's for ambience for the most part, the way it should be. When one starts losing musicians with jazz recordings because the level of the surrounds and center is too low, that isn't a good think. And believe me, there is specific musician's instruments coming from the center and surrounds on some jazz recordings and it just isn't ambience.

Listen to the specific recording on this post. It isn't on all tracks but it is easily distinguishable. #7 is the best example.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.