Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Are not "upgraded" power cords included or at minimum recommended by the companies performing the mod?

I can certainly support an argument that an “inadequate” or undersized power cord can hurt performance (or worse). (Certainly not entirely analogous but a good water filter has been proven to improve water quality at the tap).

I don't know whether upgrades over a “stock” power cord make an audible difference (improvement) or not. I've never compared them and I've only heard people "say" that they make an audible improvement. But most of the gear I own have come stock with power cords that "look" (snake like) the part of something better than "run the mill" power cords. Since I believe my gear sounds good I can only assume that the stock power cords are of quality commensurate to the components that they feed.

An exception to the "snake like" power cords that have come stock with my components is the one connected to the Sony SCD-1. It “looks” ordinary and is not nearly as robust looking as the Kimber power cord that comes stock with EMM Labs gear. Maybe I should swap power cords between the two components and see if I can hear an improvement or a difference. I'm not about to do that; I don't have the time or the inclination and plan on selling the Sony anyway.

But it does make me ask the question why isn't (wasn’t) the stock power cord upgraded as a matter of course by the company doing the mod since considerable expense is invested to mod a component, especially to a “5” level? If audible improvements are readily apparent among power cards it would seem to make common sense and a formidable selling spiel that a company performing mods would change the stock power cord as a first order of business or at least recommend that such cord be upgraded.

Robert C. Lang

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.