Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

The Only Viable Comparison

Is the CD versus the SACD of the same title on the same player. Many will be subtle and will vary depending on one's equipment.

I can give some examples using Bill Evans recordings I have. The SACDs totally trounce the originial CDs I have. Then I have some JVC K2 remaster of those recordings that trump the original CDs. The SACD trumps those K2s. Then I have some of the Evans recordings on XRCD which went for between $25-$30 a pop. Well those beat the other recordings I had but the SACDs trounce those.

I don't like to duplicate recordings but there was always the curiousity factor when one starts out. I also initially tried Kind Of Blue on SACD and I was initially unimpressed. But the player I had was not broken in whatsoever. There is no comparison now between the remaster CD I have versus the SACD as the latter totally trounces it. To date, I have about 10 titles I duplicated and the result is the same. I'll take the SACD!

Vinyl versus SACD to me is not a viable comparison. We are talking two different formats on different equipment.

Go to some of the CDs that you are fairly familiar with that have also been released on SACD and try some of those. Give your player some time to break in. I think you'll come to the same conclusions most here have that the SACD is the winner on the same player.

One cannot expect their top notch reigning champs on CD of different titles that were recorded by top engineers to beat mediocre SACDs. There are plenty of the latter unfortunately.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • The Only Viable Comparison - Robertc88 06:05:34 04/19/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.