Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: New to SACD (long)

Hi Brian-

First off, for my money, the best-sounding SACDs are not reissues of material previously recorded in some other format, including beloved analog tape. Which is not to say that, if you're a classical music fan, the re-issues of the RCA Living Stereos aren't worth buying. Or, if you're a jazz fan, the SACD of Kind of Blue isn't worth buying. But, if you're a vinyl guy, you probably have that record (as I do) and are quite happy with it (again, assuming that's your taste in music).

The best recordings are those done in native DSD. For example, the two-disc set of Allison Kraus and Union Station live in concert in Louisville was recorded in DSD. It's a great show, musically, and it shows off the capabilities of the medium. (But you have to like Bluegrass.)

If you're a classical music fan, some of the European lables are selling "new" DSD recordings, as is the London Symphony Orchestra ("LSO Live"). The opera recordings are especially impressive (but you have to like opera).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.