Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Thank you!

Very informative and well done indeed!

And in a way very timely. As I read your review I was/am listening to some CDs of original recordings of concerts from 1938 and 1939. The 3 CD set is called "From Spirituals to Swing" on Vanguard Records and is composed largely of recordings of Count Basie, Benny Goodman and other greats from the late 30s. As I read your comments on the Glenn Gould 1955 recording and the process that has given its rebirth I can't help wonder how this process could give new life to this old classic recordings.

Although I must say these old tinny recordings after a few cuts of acclimation can be almost addictive "as is". I can *almost* (not quite) understand how listeners 70 years ago of these old recordings became "transported" to the concert hall as has been documented. And actually some instruments such as the sax, clarinet, and some aspects of the human voice are not *that* far off. Although I must say that the piano in these old recordings needs some serious help.

I'm definitely in favor of this "reperformance" process being expanded to other historical recordings.

Thank you again.

Robert C. Lang

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.