Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Pieces of Dream-(Heads Up Label-Division of Telarc)

I just saw (less than an hour ago) Pieces of Dream, the contemporary jazz group, perform at Oakland's world-renowned Yoshi's jazz club. It may well have been the very best performance I have *ever* seen at Yoshi's and I am excited about the music that the group featured from their latest release called "Pillow Talk".

The group made several references to their Heads Up Label, which is a division of Telarc (a label I support more than any other). Immediately upon coming home I went to the Heads Up website and found reference to the "Pillow Talk" "CD"... BUT no reference to a SACD. While, happily I did find two Pieces of Dreams SACDs, which I will order in short order, I also want "Pillow Talk" on SACD. I gave Heads Up a “heads up” to that fact.

And the reason is crystal clear. As I write this post we are playing the CD version that a friend of mind bought at the performance on Thursday night. We all agree unequivocally that, while the CD sounds good, the full force of the recorded sound can only be realized in surround (multi-channel) SACD. Having just listened to the live performance there is *absolutely* no question about that. To be sure, SACD multi-channel cannot capture the "visuals" and the brilliant showmanship that the performers put on full display this evening. (For example, when founding member James Lloyd circled the keyboard as he was playing, in essence playing the key board upside down and backwards while blindfolded and without missing a beat or the sax player deftly moving from soprano to alto to tenor [they said he was "trisaxual"]. But clearly the sound was *far* more multi-channel than two channel.

For those of you that don't know Pieces of Dream has been around for years performing a unique blend of jazz and soul. And they can get down like nobody in the business. It is very timely that they have made SACDs as, while I listen primarily to classical, my roots are firmly anchored in R&B, which is woefully missing in the SACD line up. So much so that my very last music purchase was a vinyl (heaven forbid) Lp reissue of the "Exciting Wilson Pickett"!

Robert C. Lang

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Pieces of Dream-(Heads Up Label-Division of Telarc) - Robert C. Lang 23:23:42 02/03/07 (8)

You can not post to an archived thread.