Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: That is an available luxury with the Switchman...

oscar,

sorry for the delay in my response.

yes, the Switchman is in my 2-channel room. i do not have (and don't plan on ever having) a display in my room. if i try to listen to the new Blue Ray and HD-DVD audio in the 2-channel room (now with 4.1 added) i will need to work out a way to navigate the new formats. it may involve a small display...who knows.

i have a separate HT room in the main house with a 10' wide screen......as well as 4 other HD flat screens around the house. the 2-channel room is a place where i want music only.

btw, i finally got things up and running with multi-channel on Wednesday except no subwoofer yet for the LFE channel. it has it's trade-offs with the 2-channel system but overall i really love it.

i have left the volume control in my 2-channel preamp in the signal path to allow easy quick front to rear balance in very small increments. it allows me to finely tune out rear channel prominence to the precise point where the rears only 'augment' the soundstage on naturally recorded multi-channel. i find that multichannel really adds naturalness and breath to classical music.

on the negative side i'm finding that everything is a bit softend and rounded a bit compared to the 2-channel. i'm not surprised since as good as the Switchman is it has to dumb down the signal compared to the dart pre. also; although i'm using the Nordost Valhalla interconnect on the front 2 channels i'm using some borrowed entry level Jena Labs interconnect (thanks to Ted Smith) on my center and rear channels. i would guess that the center channel is getting added warmth and a lower level of detail and immediacy compared to my front left and right. when the Switchman adds the center to the front left and right channels i am hearing the slight effect of that warmer, less immediate cable. i do notice on material without center channel info that the immediacy is more similar to 2-channel. is that the cables or the effect of the 'phantom center' circut? i won't know until i get another Valhalla interconnect to insert.

i actually prefer that the rear channels have a touch softer sound than the fronts as that allows them to 'support' the fronts rather than distract. we will see how my multi-channel listening opinions change over time.

like always; everything matters.

i love my choice of the Marten Dukes for the rears.....they integrate well with the Evolution Acoustics MM3's on the front.

mikel

Edits: 05/26/07 05/26/07 05/26/07

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: That is an available luxury with the Switchman... - mikel 07:11:23 05/26/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.