Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

RE: Which dipoles?

Every recommended set up I have seen for multi-channel (regardless of format) specifically says to use direct radiators speakers and to specifically to avoid dipoles. I have seen explanations as to why but those explanations escape me.

The admonition not to use dipoles is interesting because the very first SACD multi-channel demo that I had the pleasure to hear was at CES in 2003 and it used Maggies all around to very good effect (even though I very sure I could better it). Infact, it was that demonstration that made say, yes absolutely, there is much more upside with SACD multi-channel than with two channel (any two channel).

The only thing I can offer with respect to using dipoles in a multi-channel system would be to set them up the way that they had them set up at CES. That is, the Maggies were up against the walls (and the rears were actually mounted on the wall). Perhaps this was done to attentuate the dipole effect and make them act more like front only firing speakers. But to me that would be a waste of resources because then two-channel reproduction would be severly compromised because of the dipole requirement that the speakers be out from the wall. Of course, Maggies are easy enough to pull out from the wall for two channel listening and then pushed back for multi-channel.

Robert C. Lang

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.