Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Exactly

Just last week an audiophile acquaintance was extremely impressed with a multi-channel SACD that I played for him, but he was impressed from a two channel perspective. He said "wow" but then he said, seemingly nonplussed, that he was expecting to hear stuff from the rear and that, instead, he perceived that all the music was emanating in front of him and non from the rear.

Well, the fact is that he *was* hearing music from the rear, lots of it, he just did not perceive it as such. A rough measurement with the Radio Shack meter on the particular piece I played for him shows when the front speakers rises to 100db the rears were putting out a not so subtle 87 db. But you would never know it unless pointed out...unless you switched to two channels; at which point the soundstage collapses before you to a traditional two-channel sound stage.

As far as making adjustments to my rear speakers after the initial level setting, I don’t. I adjust all the speakers with a level meter and pink noise so that they are all at the same level. I then go with what the mixing engineer/artist decided. If I don’t like what he/she decided I switch to two channels. This switch very rarely, if ever, happens with classical music. It does happen on some occasions with some jazz, even track to track. But 90% of the time I'm fine just like it is. The few R&B SACDs that I have, while mixed to the left of center (on the agressive side) are simply the best renditions I have heard compared to the two channel version.

Robert C. Lang

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Exactly - Robert C. Lang 18:23:34 05/17/07 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.