Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

"...should be listening for when I change polarity?"

One way could/should/would simply, which way does it "sound more realistic"?

Like - if you shut your eyes are you more "at the concert" or "less at the concert"?

And don't expect it to be a quick learning thing - it took me ages to be able to confidently choose - and if you find you are thinking too much, just ask a woman - mine has it 100% in seconds, everytime!

Phase coherent means the leading edge of a pulse/transient waveform has the same direction pressure from the speaker system at all frequencies.

Many multicone speakers have their midrange wired out of phase with the bass and tweeter - so a single unidirectional pulse does not come out as a pulse at all - but a mixture of positive and negative pressures.

Single cone speakers (Lowther etc), full range electrostats (ML CLS etc), most panels (Apogee & Magnaplaner etc) and some carefully designed multiway cone speakers (Theil etc) are phase coherent, most others are not - especially if the designer's main focus was achieving extreme flatness of frequency response.

OK?

Regards, Allen

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.