Still intriged by the phase inversion issue, I decided to do some decent experimenting. Started with ripping the CD layer from the remastered 'Brothers in Arms'. Using the program 'Audacity 1.3' I was able to invert the phase of four songs. Then I burned a CD for an A-B comparison between the normal and phase inverted songs. After carefull listening I gave it a 4-0 win for the phase inverted songs! I know that my equipment is set-up correctly, but it's a combi of different brands. Anyhow, I decided to invert phase at the loudspeakers. Then I put in the SACD layer of "Brothers in Arms"....
Pfff, now I know what you americans mean by jaw-dropping. It's incredable, wonderfull, almost in tears. How big an improvement!!! I thought the improvement was must larger with SACD than with CD.
What about other SACD's? The biggest surprise was "So" by Peter Gabriel. A huge difference with what I was used to hear. Much more "space", relaxed listening. Use "Mercy street" to be sure your life is "in phase"!!
- more bass (I had to decrease to level of my subwoofer (getting an analog tap of my stereo signals)
- more natural gitar
- more clarity in vocals. I know now that John Hiatts father drove a deSoto in Thunderbird (for those who want to know!)
- in fact: the DSD mastered 'Master of disaster' was finally 'very well recorded'. I did not liked it before and did not believe in that Sonoma proces. Now I am Converted!!
- more analog feeling all over.
I have two issues left.
The five SACD's I studied so far (Brothers, So, Sacred Love, Master and Lang2 Rachmaninoff 3 all sounded much much better. This is not in line with earlier statements in this forum that concerning phase it is 50-50% good/wrong recording. Does anaybody know two SACD's who are clearly 'out of phase' (for example within the living stereo series)?
Second issue: My equipment is set up properly. Yet it seems wrongly configured. Can that happen with different brands?
ADVISE TO ALL: experiment with your favourite SACD AND OPTIMIZE!
Heaven is missing a happy angel.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Phase inversion, next chapter: Listen up! - Berlin 11:37:27 03/21/07 (43)
- Still confused, but at a much higher level! - Berlin 03:22:56 03/23/07 (0)
- Makes bigger difference when you do it at speakers. - Ric Schultz 20:13:49 03/22/07 (6)
- Is it one, or both speakers? Not that I can't try it myself! nt - oldmkvi 09:26:17 03/23/07 (3)
- always BOTH - Michael Bishop 05:52:59 03/24/07 (1)
- Re: always BOTH - oldmkvi 10:13:09 03/24/07 (0)
- OK, I'm DOWN with it! I - oldmkvi 10:30:50 03/23/07 (0)
- Rick, care to speculate as why this is so? (nt) - Allen Wright 08:27:37 03/23/07 (0)
- Re: Makes bigger difference when you do it at speakers. - unclestu52 23:30:31 03/22/07 (0)
- Re: Phase inversion, next chapter: Listen up! - unclestu52 01:09:17 03/22/07 (0)
- Re: Phase inversion, next chapter: Listen up! - Berlin 14:16:43 03/21/07 (0)
- You'd better do a polarity check! - Michael Bishop 12:03:54 03/21/07 (32)
- Langlang optimization! - Berlin 14:22:15 03/21/07 (8)
- I have this disc, what does your post refer to? nt - Duilawyer 15:03:29 03/21/07 (7)
- Re: I have this disc, what does your post refer to? nt - berlin 23:16:24 03/21/07 (6)
- but is it polarity inverted? nt - Duilawyer 07:45:56 03/22/07 (5)
- Re: but is it polarity inverted? nt - berlin 13:53:46 03/22/07 (4)
- Berlin, I'm curious to know what was wrongly setup? (nt) - OvenBun 17:40:15 03/23/07 (2)
- Re: Berlin, I'm curious to know what was wrongly setup? (nt) - Berlin 09:20:02 03/24/07 (1)
- Interesting. Thanks. (nt) - OvenBun 12:04:11 03/24/07 (0)
- OK. nt - Duilawyer 17:05:23 03/22/07 (0)
- Re: You'd better do a polarity check! - OvenBun 13:01:34 03/21/07 (12)
- 1/ What speakers do you have - are they phase coherent? - Allen Wright 04:38:21 03/22/07 (11)
- Re: 1/ What speakers do you have - are they phase coherent? - OvenBun 09:27:16 03/22/07 (10)
- "...should be listening for when I change polarity?" - Allen Wright 08:25:29 03/23/07 (9)
- Question. - Phil W 11:40:08 03/23/07 (3)
- Sorry, no idea. Do you prefer the MLs? (nt) - Allen Wright 05:27:54 03/24/07 (2)
- Re: "...should be listening for when I change polarity?" - OvenBun 09:02:29 03/23/07 (4)
- )I thought the changes would be dramatic... - Allen Wright 05:42:49 03/24/07 (1)
- Re: )I thought the changes would be dramatic... - OvenBun 12:09:12 03/24/07 (0)
- Listen mostly to the upper bass and lower midrange.... - theaudiohiffle 16:13:14 03/23/07 (1)
- Re: Listen mostly to the upper bass and lower midrange.... - OvenBun 16:42:19 03/23/07 (0)
- Mike, do you hear polarity difference? nt - sser2 12:24:08 03/21/07 (9)
- Yes - Michael Bishop 13:02:42 03/21/07 (8)
- It is easier heard on speakers that are phase, time coherent I believe... - theaudiohiffle 19:07:52 03/21/07 (6)
- Maggies? - Dave Pogue 07:24:08 03/22/07 (4)
- Re: Maggies? - theaudiohiffle 10:18:54 03/22/07 (3)
- Exactly! (nt) - Allen Wright 04:26:50 03/22/07 (0)
- Thanks! nt - sser2 14:29:03 03/21/07 (0)
You can not post to an archived thread.