Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Well, I think you either "get it" or you don't, as Metralla said

I'm not sure I can really explain the reasons why the music profoundly connected to me, and they may not apply to you.

I could go really intellectual and wax on about how the lyrics revolve around themes like the futility of the rat race, or the meaning of existence, aspects of which are subsequently explored on later albums but in a different context.

If you also take the snippets of conversations, it's possible to weave a whole "story" around the album (I particularly like the whispered "I never really said I was frightened of dying" right at the end of "The Great Gig in the Sky" which gives a whole new perspective on the meaning of the song).

Or I could go on about how innovative the music is - the album was one of the first to use synthesizers both for ambience and as a lead, and the use of Major 7th chords in "The Great Gig In The Sky" is one of the earliest examples of the use of dissonant harmonies in a "slow" piece (and was extensively copied in songs as diverse as "Love Story" and "Nadia's Theme").

But all of these are justifications after the event: I remember the feeling I had when I first listened to it was "Wow!" - I couldn't get enough of it and used to play it again and again (I think my parents and possibly our neighbours got really sick of it). Songs like "Us And Them" and "The Great Gig in the Sky" used to make me cry (and still make my eyes moist).

If you listen to DSOTM, WYWH, The Wall and The Final Cut they kind of form a loose story "arc". DSOTM is about the "father", WYWH is about the "brother" who died (in reality Syd Barrett), and The Wall is about the son (the main "voice" or point of view in all these albums), and the Final Cut completes the circle because it is about the son's memories of the father.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.