Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Ah. Nostalgia.

Fond memories of bonding with your brother. All well and good. But what about the music?

I'm not trying to be confrontational about it. I want to understand why many people consider this great music. Obviously, not everyone does. But enough do, and the fact that this is one of those records that still sells well decade after decade and seems to be considered among the greatest Rock albums ever released is what aroused my interest. I was very disappointed when I listened to the SACD. That is why I'm asking what - if anything - I'm missing.

Now don't get me wrong, there's a lot of music that I listen to out of nostalgia myself. And it's not a bad reason. And I realize the emotional quality of some music can't always be expressed in words - sometimes you either you "get it" or you don't. So if nostalgia is all anyone can offer as a reason for listening to DSOTM, I can accept that. But please, admit it.

So what do I mean by people offering unsatisfying nostalgic explanations?

There are many reasons why Beethoven's symphonies are considered "masterpieces". Through years of lessons in piano, cello and several music appreciation courses, I was able to gain a modicum of understanding of the sonata form, harmonic theory, symphonic instrumentation, Western classical music history, etc. that have allowed me some small appreciation of Beethoven's music. But if I didn't know anything about Beethoven's symphonies and someone told me that I should be listening to them because, well, he or she used to listen to them with a brother in their youth and had fond memories of that bonding experience, I would be completely unsatisfied with that as a reason for why the Beethoven symphonies are regarded as significant works. Every answer I get as to why DSOTM is so well-regarded seems to be predicated on this type of answer, rather than (for example) showing how the lyrics were poetic or an important reflection on the times, how the playing was unusually virtuosic, how the instrumentation or craftsmanship or structure of the music was particularly innovative, or how the album influenced other artists.

If someone could just point me to an explanation of what I should be listening for in this music (beyond, that is, the dubious claims that the album was intended as an alternate soundtrack to "The Wizard of Oz", which only reinforces my opinion that this is merely stoner music) I would very much appreciate it!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.