Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

I don't see a reconciliation with CDs

While the divorce is certainly final, the breakup was amicable and we are on friendly, albeit, limited terms. CD does have visitation rights.

I may have given the impression that I have no more contact with CDs. That is not correct. I do have recent CD experience, probably more than most. True, I have only purchased or acquired few CDs recently, all jazz, the most recent being Scott Hamilton's "Nocturnes and Serenades" on Concord, The Classical Jazz Quartet (Kenny Barron, Ron Carter, Stefon Harris, Lewis Nash) "Play Rachmaninov"! on Blue Note, and Billy Hart "Quartet" (a Xmas gift) on HighNote. An interesting fact about the latter is that was recorded DSD on the Sonoma system. I have only purchased 25 or so CDs since 1999 (when SACD resuscitated my interest).

Also, I have a wife and young boys. There are CDs all over the house. But my serious CD listening is when several times a month friends come over to listen to music. 90% of the time they bring CDs, 10% of the time Lps), almost always jazz. Guess what they say, almost with unanimity? That CDs/Lps sound so two channel, so flat when compared to a live performance (recently we had a listening session immediately after leaving a jazz club) and that their favorite CDs simply don't hold a candle to the SACD multi-channel version when compared directly to the CD ("No Assembly Required" by Pieces of A Dream on Telarc). This is true even though previously they thought these same CDs were the cat's meow. Direct comparisons with SACD, especially multi-channel SACD are simply fatal to most CDs. I do acknowledge that very good CDs, and better yet very good Lps that sound great and are very enjoyable.

There is no question that CD is flush with good content and the 4000 SACD releases can't compete with that. But I can't listen to everything that I have already (on Lp, CD and SACD). And if I do have to have something that is not available on SACD, I will (and do) purchase the CD (or Lp). From that standpoint while I welcome more multi-channel SACDs into the catalog I really don't feel a dearth in music listening opportunities. Fortunately some of the labels you mention also release multi-channel SACDs.

Robert C. Lang

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I don't see a reconciliation with CDs - Robert C. Lang 14:16:26 03/15/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.