Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

I knew you were probably too far away to come hear my...

Ayre CX-7e when I invited you, but at least now you know that CDs can sound quite good. I would just emphasize that, as you have seen, CD players can make a significant difference, and better machines than your Yamaha do exist. With these better machines, such as the one I have, you would find that many labels have fine sounding CDs. To be sure, regardless of the CD player, there are a lot of bad-sounding CDs out there.

If even a few CDs can have good sound, then there is nothing inherently terrible about the RBCD standard. Perhaps a further revelation would be to see how well the sound of an LP can be captured by RBCD. CD-Rs carefully made from top-sounding vinyl recordings are virtually indistinguishable from the original. I know you and other say that RBCDs don't have the resolution of vinyl, but the claim I made is simple to demonstrate if one has a good ADC and is careful about the process. If you synch up the CD-R and the vinyl during playback, it is extremely difficult to tell which is which during playback when you switch between them. The sad thing is how poor many (most?) commercial CDs sound when the potential is there for them to sound so good.

Joe

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.