Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

I believe that SACD is still alive *because* of multi-channel and *not* because of two-channel

If SACD recordings only included two channel for classical and jazz recordings going forward I would take a closer look at DVD-A. Otherwise, I would give equal opportunity to the other two-channel formats, including CD (that I come to realize can sound extremely good at its best), vinyl (I have a large collection and have purchased ½ dozen so far this year), and SACDs.

I do find two-channel SACDs to be superior to CDs and in this hobby where *any* improvement is "huge", that is important to me.
But with all due respects to two-channel SACD, until multi-channel SACD came along (and I’m sure multi-channel DVD-A as well, which I have not heard to good advantage), on the software and electronics side, there have been no clear cut tangible improvements in audio since stereo was perfected (as far as it goes) in the 60s and 70s. That includes CD and two-channel SACD at their zenith.

I also believe that SACD is still alive *because* of multi-channel and *not* because of two-channel. The vast majority of audiophile/consumers don't buy that SACD sounds better than CD. Even in this forum there has been a lot of wavering on this issue among those who were staunch SACD devotees. But, at a minimum, those that have heard both, agree, unamiously, that SACD multi-channel is greatly *different* from CD. And in some forums, such as rec.audio.highend, many anti-SACD listeners do acknowledge that multi-channel (SACD/DVD-A) is an improvement over two-channel, even if they have no intentions of buying in because of room limitations, costs, etc.

In other words, I believe, that if SACD recordings only included two channel for classical and jazz recordings going forward that would spell the final end for SACD as a consumer format. If SACD ever throws in the towel I believe it will be as a two-channel/multi-channel format.

Robert C. Lang

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.