Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Guess I'm a lucky one...

...a semi-retired bachelor with a great multichannel system (designed for music, not movies) in a room that allows me to approximate the ITU spacing for multichannel. In any case, I much prefer multichannel....when listening to jazz, for example, I always feel a little discontent when playing "shuffle" and a two-channel disk comes in...even more so when a two-channel CD comes in. Even when I am reading and using the music as background, I am aware of it.

That said, in the past, the two times I had dedicated listening room I was able to set the room up (using homemade room treatment) to use the first response echos and later echos to create a "holographic" image that gave great satisfaction. That same satisfaction and more is provided by multichannel, and frankly room acoustics and furntirue placement viz-a-viz the speakers are not nearly so critical, since the spatial cues are provided largely on the recording, rather than having to be created by room integration. Another feature of multichannel, rarely mentioned, is that if done with five full range speakers, bass performance is greatly enhanced. Not only is there a 3+db gain in the deeper bass, but the bass standing waves in the room are smoothed to a considerable degree, since speaker placement is taken out of the situation leaving only inherent room nodes. The result on both pop and symphonic music is a deep, powerful bass hard to obtain with the same speakers (Thiel 2 2s, 3.5's in my case) in stereo mode.
Harry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.