Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Yeah, but it still comes across as an overly expensive two-channel retro

I would certainly enjoy that as I have enjoyed immensely when half dozen or so inmates have come here over the years to enjoy music. And notwithstanding what I say below I would do so with an open mind (and ears).

And while I most certainly will take you up on your offer and I'm sure I will be deeply impressed with the sound of your audio system it would be difficult (impossible?) for me to parcel out proper credit to your modded decks vis-a-vis to the other (arguably more important components [including room]). And to that end I don't see a proper correlation between me listening to your system and the specific observations/comments I have offered in response to Quint's comments on his modded Esoteric and his system.

And to up the ante on the conundrum, what if your system was configured with comparable components as a two channel/multi-channel system in which your deck was playing some Michael Bishop mixes in which you could directly compare the two-channel mix with the multi-channel mix of the same recording? And that, really, was the point I was making to Quint. You take that two channel modded Esoteric and compare it directly in an otherwise comparable system to the same model multi-channel Esoteric (or better yet a *modded* multi-channel Esoteric) using those Michael Bishop discs and I'm demonstratively convinced based on considerable personal experience in several high end systems that the two channel playback would not standup sonically to the multi-channel versions of the same recordings in coming closer to replicating a live experience. Isn't that what this quest is all about?

One thing that many audiophiles have in common, which is a casualty of their devotion to medium, whether it is vinyl or digital, is that they are so stuck in stereo much like we as a group were so stuck in mono years ago. Most are completely missing the boat (many in a cavalier manner) to the virtues of well-done multi-channel SACD, of which there are now hundreds of releases. Like most of us I, too, hold on to for dear life to the technology to which I grew up on. I don’t dismiss technology simply because it is old. Nor do I embrace technology simply because it is new. Most often I’m guilty to holding on to it because it *is* old and tried. But to me a *comparable* SACD multi-channel system trumps two channel so (or can) soundly, including SOTA vinyl systems, that it is simply no longer an issue.

Oh, speaking of vinyl? I’m getting closer to making an upgrade in my vinyl playback. Do you have vinyl playback I can also audition?

Robert C. Lang

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.