Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Just curious...

Sorry -- should have seen your review below.

I heard a CDSA in my own system but it didn't have many hours on it and it had that "hard" sound I attribute to not being broken in enough. Still, my APL-modified Denon 3910 (also with very low hours on it) handily beat the CDSA in terms of recreating the drama, scale and involvement of real, live music. Compared to the APL Denon, the Meitner was a bit sterile & uninvolving, leaving the listener feeling somewhat detached from the event. The CDSA only bettered my Denon in terms of a more precise depth-wise delineation of instruments within the soundstage. But the APL-modified Esoteric players posses this characteristic, plus an even more palpable, lifelike sound.

Having said all this, I believe the Meitner is not the best match for my system. A while back I heard a Meitner setup consisting of Tenor (tube) amps and high-end Kharma speakers that sounded great. It still lacked the degree of involvement and realism that I attribute to Alex's designs but it sounded wonderful all the same.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.