Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Close Microphones, plus additional question

Yep; it's a matter of personal preference. Sometimes I like the "up close and personal" sound, and I usually prefer it for chamber music, since it tends to provide better separation of the instruments.(My favorite of the few Pentatone disks I have is the Keisuke Wakao oboe recording.)

I don't dig close mic'ing for full orchestra works, because it robs the strings of their lushness, and I don't believe it represents an acurate portrayal of the event from ANY seat in the house: nobody, not even the conductor, can be simultaneously five feet away from each section of the orchestra! I know most will disagree, but, as exciting as they are, (and I own eight of them) I don't think the Living Presence SACD releases sound as natural as their Living Stereo counterparts. To each their own.

As for the supposed deviation from the score by Julia Fischer, I can unequivocally state, "Uh...I dunno." I'm only intimately familiar with the Partita #3, having played most of it as bowing practice. If asked to guess, I'd say the Chaconne from the Partita #2 is the most likely candidate for monkeying around in.

If I can locate the score, and can find some spare time away from kids, wife, cell phone, computer, and customers.....

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Close Microphones, plus additional question - String Section 22:01:56 03/04/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.