Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Mr Hansen.... possibly add a phase reversal switch ??

Two reasons we don't offer one:

a) Contrary to most people's experience (either they don't hear a difference, or they find that the correct polarity varies from recording to recording), I have found a different experience. The first time I had a system that was resolving enough to tell when one polarity was correct and the other was wrong, I listened to about 25 different discs. They all sounded best with the system in the *same* (correct) polarity. So I think it makes a difference, but not necessarily from recording to recording.

I'm sure I'll take a lot of heat for this, but that's what I heard. And maybe I'm wrong, so I reserve the right to change my mind in the future.

2) The entire idea of a polarity switch is completely antithetical to what we are trying to achieve with our products. The idea is to go home after a hard day's work, turn on the stereo and "bliss out". No muss, no fuss.

But to add a polarity switch is like spiking someone's drink with LSD -- it's just a way to introduce neurosis (if not psychosis!). Instead of enjoying the music, now you have to sit and listen intently to each track on every disc you own, flipping the switch back and forth until you are sure which way is "correct". Then write down the "correct" setting in some notebook so that the next time you listen to the disc you can study the notebook and make sure the switch is in the "correct" position.

And that's just for CD. For analog sources, there is no way to add a polarity switch without degrading the sound quality. Then you are doubly screwed.

No thanks. I don't want any part of that insanity. If you do, that's fine, you should probably just buy somebody else's equipment.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.