Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Close Microphones, plus additional question

The DVD that was included with my set suggests that the recording was closely-mic'd in an empty church. And it sure sounds like it. You can clearly hear the clicking sound that comes from the bow changing direction on a string, as well as the 'surface noise' of the rosined bowhair as it scrapes across the strings. These are all normal sounds, but they don't project well, and in a concert venue only those in the first few rows would have a chance of noticing them.

Yes I agree. (I saw the DVD too.) - I like this type of sound however. I usually prefer to sit "close to the action", and, in moonlighting as a piano accompanist, I'm often onstage with the violinist! So it partly boils down to what you're used to and what you prefer.

I have another question which you may be able to answer. Another listener (local) told me that in one of the sonatas or partitas (sorry, I don't remember which one), Fischer did not follow the score exactly and instead used what sounded (to him) like a nineteenth-century emendation in one section. He also said that this is the same thing that Szeryng does in that spot on his recording. (Don't know if he was talking about Szeryng's mono version or his stereo DG version.) Do you know if this is true? - If it is, it's probably another reason I like Fischer's recording! :-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.