Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Absolute polarity and SACDs.

I understand this is a controversial topic, but let me relate a short story. Last night I was listening to the new Pentatone/Storioni disc of Schubert piano trios and I found myself vaguely unhappy with the sound--somewhat diffuse and a bit "bleached out," especially the piano. I then remembered that my new pre-amp has a phase button to reverse absolute polarity, so I gave it a try. Lo and behold, the sound came into sharp focus, the tonality seemed more accurate and the presence was now lively and realistic. There is little question in my mind that "correct" sonic reproduction occurred only after hitting the phase button.

I have read that this is a common problem, at least for those who actually believe it is a problem. Is it common on SACDs in particular? For those who have noticed the problem and have the facility to reverse absolute polarity, what SACDs in your experience have most markedly manifested the problem? I will certainly be keeping my ears open for this issue as I re-listen to many of my SACDs.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Topic - Absolute polarity and SACDs. - Phil W 11:23:59 03/04/07 (34)

You can not post to an archived thread.