Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Review : Julevariasjoner by Wolfgang Plagge

Wow.. this is currently my favorite SA-CD.. and gives me the kind of excitement in SACD I had when my first grey single layer Sony's arrived. I still find myself playing it every couple of days. Now some background, it was hard to get for me in Australia, I had to order it through HMV Japan, and then it took about 3 months for them to get hold of the title, I'm glad I didn't cancel the order!!

These are piano variations on traditional Christmas hymns/songs, similiar to the kind of treatment Bach (or John Coltrane) would give.. they feel oh so familiar and it does take you a while before it clicks what the actual tune is.. then click, ahhh.. Now this is a very good thing, because otherwise I wouldn't be listening to "Christmas music" in March! Every single tune on the disc is completely renewed by the soft and minimalist variations he has created.

Now onto sound, it is a gorgeous piano sound. I had a friend come over.. with a puzzled look on his face wondering where the piano was, until he realised I was just playing a CD. Very gentle and smooth, with the ethereal timbre you get from a good SACD.

So if you like "December" by George Winston, Brian Eno "Music for Airports", Eric Satie or just beautiful music.. this one is for you.

Daniel.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Review : Julevariasjoner by Wolfgang Plagge - SnaggS 14:14:47 03/01/07 (2)

You can not post to an archived thread.