Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

A very fine violinist, but...

of course violinist like soloists on many instruments come with their own styles and interpretations. If one prefers violinist x over y, and it often varies on a work-by-basis, that of course doesn't mean x is a better violinist than y. For example, in general, I prefer Fischer's playing to Heifitz, who was an absolutely great technical virtsuoso, simply because I am not a fan of Heifitz' style of playing. I even find it annoying. However, when I make direct comparisons of the same piece, I prefer the playing of Grumiaux or even Zuckerman (not Perlman!) to Fischer. For example, a comparison of the Bach Unaccompanied Violin Sonatas and Partitas played by Grumiaux and Fischer is fascinating. It shows that Fischer really is a very fine violinist, but for me Grumiaux's playing has much more depth and impact. However, his style is different, and at the time of the recordings he was a very seasoned artist.

As for Pentatone, I don't know what it is, but I have many Pentatone SACDs, and none of them has top-tier sound. Maybe I've been unlucky. On some, the CD layer is significantly better than than SACD layer; the Rossini Overtures is a good example of this.

Joe

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.