Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

SACD sourcing resources

With some of the difficulties that folks like Duilawyer seem to have sourcing SACD's, it might be useful to have a thread again on sourcing of SACD's. I have never NOT been able to obtain an SACD that I have wanted, although sometimes the pricing and postage are issues. I also tend to try to buy things near the initial release dates to avoid the disappointment of discontinuation. Here are the sources I have used (by the way, I am located in California, and have had 0 issues obtaining SACD's from Japan, Germany and the UK):

Amazon.com - in my view, not the best place to source SACD's - long waits for items that others have in stock. I do like to support sa-cd.net, so I often place other orders on Amazaon (books, for example) by starting at the sa-cd.net web site - Stephen receives his cut regardless of what you buy, as long as you start there.

Arkivmusic.com - they have many classical SACD's, as well as a lot of otherwise hard to find classical RBCD's. Service is great, a classy operation.

Amazon.co.uk - my source for Japanese SACD's. Sometimes it is hard to be sure what you are doing - I recommend starting at sa-cd.net and clicking through. There is some English on the site.

jpc - ditto - there is some English on this site as well, but it is easier to click through at sa-cd.net. All genres, and some items not available in the US.

CD Universe - often I have sourced items that are supposed to be OOP here. All genres.

yourmusic.com - 6.99 per SACD, and they have about 50+ titles of all genres. A subscription site, but you can buy additional titles at any time. Service is a little more haphazard -my copy of the LSO Haitink Beethoven 2 and 6 arrived with a bad crack in the jewel case - it took a while, but they finally got it right.

mdt.co.uk - easy to use site, great service, regular special offers. Classics only.

amusicdirect.com - easy to use, regular 10% off on all specials, really nice people, and good service. All genres

acousticsounds.com - I used to use them instead of amusicdirect, but found the service better at amusicdirect. I did buy some speaker cables from them, and they were extremely helpful.

deepdiscounted.com - I have placed a couple of orders here (Kinks and Moody Blues). OK when you know exactly what you want, and don't mind a wait.

e-bay - I bought one used SACD on e-bay. I used to buy many open reel tapes there, with mostly good results, but there are tons of isses dealing with e-bay and frankly, I prefer to buy new items.

I think that about does it. I'm sure that others have their favorites - I know that many like hmv.co.jp for the Japanese material, there are loads of fans of Elusive Disc, etc. It would be interesting hearing from others about their favorite sites and their experiences. Also, note that I buy nothing from bricks and morter retailers (and I have 400+ SACD's). But the important thing is that we cannot depend on a single retailer to cover the gamut.

Tom

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Topic - SACD sourcing resources - TGR 12:50:53 02/25/07 (8)

You can not post to an archived thread.