Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Rickie Lee Jones revisited ... revisited

At the risk of becoming a BORE on this topic, I nonetheless feel duty bound to, evangelically, sing the praies of an RLJ performance I had the good fortune to witness on PBS's SOUNDSTAGE in high def video.

Before I even comment on the music, let me say that this is one of the best-directed televised concerts I have ever seen -- wonderfully intimate camera work, great staging, fabulous lighting. It is phtographed and edited with great restraint and taste, yet, at the same time, it provides just the right amount of visual novelty and color -- as a chef mixes just the right amount of salt and spice into a stew. Jones and her comrades become palpable presences in your living room, and I don't think it's possible to convey RLJ's unvarnished artistic honesty and force more tellingly.

As for the music, it's a collection of Jones's best known compsitions, along with a choice selection from her latest SACD. "Tried to be a Man," "Falling Up" and "Nobody Knows My Name" are included. Watching the performance, I began to see Jones more and more as a kind of females version of another unvarnished, stunningly honest singer/songerwriter: Neil Young.

Of course, Young fans unfamiliar with RLJ will consider this excessive praise. But, respectfully, I would urge them to see this performance for themselves.

Finally, the on-stage performance of Jones and her band of fellows eclipses anything I have heard on her recordings -- which I have given high praise on this forum, for what it's worth.

It's hard to compare a televised performance with an actual live performance. Even so, I would be willing to rank this televised performance with the best of the best I have personally witnessed. It was, in a word, a revelation.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Rickie Lee Jones revisited ... revisited - halfnote 21:08:54 02/22/07 (3)

You can not post to an archived thread.