Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Recent SACD Acquisitions

Thank you, Doktor, for your studied opinions.

I, too, enjoy the recent Praga discs. You can also go back to the Debussy/Ravel Quartets, Haydn Quartets, the Schubert Quintet/Quartet, the Dvorak Quartet/Cypresses, the Rubinstein chamber works, and even the Haydn Cello Concertos for other excellent recordings and, as far as I can tell, excellent or at least very good performances.

A good example of how not to record chamber music is Audite's set of Brahms Cello Sonatas, an area where I expect your Doktorship would have some insight. I find the sound to be too diffuse, as though we were actually INSIDE the instruments. I like a lot of air and 3D in recordings, especially chamber music, but why must a cello be eight feet across and six feet high? I think they overdid it a little, which is a shame, because the performance is spirited and the playing is beautiful. The recording is beautifully smooth and airy, but the sound of one cello and one piano practically jumps out of the speakers and takes over the entire room. Have you heard the set on Praga?

I concur with your opinions of Tosca on Pentatone: gorgeous, but somewhat bizarre without cannons and gunshots. Have you heard their Brahms Piano Quartets? Don't just stick to the reissues--lots of new recordings, especially Julia Fischer's, are very nice. And the BIS Beethoven: I just don't understand why everyone is practically wetting themselves over these merely competent performances and cold, though clear, sonics.

Please, share more of your learned opinions with us. You're not the least bit boring.

Peace,
Tom E

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Recent SACD Acquisitions - madisonears 16:32:26 02/15/07 (1)
    • Re: Tosca - Kal Rubinson 19:16:04 02/15/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.