Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

One man's meat...

Joel wrote:I think I can support the conclusion that it is cheaper, relatively speaking, to achieve true reference quality audio playback with vinyl than with digital. For a few thousand dollars a reference quality vinyl system can be built. It takes multple tens of thousands of dollars to achieve the same with digital.

I don't quite agree with this, Joel. Granted, I have not upgraded my vinyl playback system in a while, but there was a time when all of its parts were considered SOTA. Given that some of my local audiophile friends are still very deep into analog (with systems costing tens of thousands, not just thousands as you suggest), it's almost humorous to hear an SACD player that cost the owner less than a fourth of what he has in his vinyl rig proffer up some really good sounds. The player has been modified to the hilt, that's true, but his total investment still comes in well under $2500. His top of the line vinyl rig -- complete with $3K cartridge, no less -- does sound a bit better than mine, but it still gets the job done compared to things like stock SCD-1's or 777's.

Having come to the conclusion that SACD has lots of promise but little on the delivery of that promise, I've succumbed to the lure of the highly modified CD camp, and couldn;t be happier. Right now I'm running a machine that was custom built for me. The innards are stuck in an old Music Hall CD player, and it uses its original drive, but the machine is otherwise one of only three like it in the USA. I dare say that with the level of performance this is offering me, I'm in no hurry to spend tens of thousands on vinyl playback upgrades (especially in view of the fact that this machine set me back less than $2K).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • One man's meat... - sgb 16:48:16 12/04/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.