Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Howdy - An update

Howdy all

It's been a while since I poked my head above water… I thought I might update you all.

I keep telling myself that I'm going to write an article or some such about my new listening area, but I keep not finding the time.

I've now been married for about 10 months, we have a nice house that we bought just after it had been rebuilt after a fire (new roof, all new electrical, plumbing, and 40% new framing) We tore down two load bearing walls in the basement to combine the end of a hall, a 16' x 16' bedroom and a 15' x 27' family room into a L shaped room (essentially a 27' x 31' room with a jagged 8' x 16' corner carved out.) By careful placement I almost have a 20' ITU circle for my system (much better than my old 12' circle).

We did a lot of other work on the room not limited to:

1) Sloped the walls inwards at the top, 1/2" on each side and 1 1/2" in the front.

2) Layered the walls with both standard drywall and green board glued together with a flexible decking compound to give a constrained dampening layer setup to deaden the walls.

3) Filled all of the joist cavities in the ceiling and walls with blown-in rock wool.

4) Replaced the windows with a window which incorporates acoustic glass (rated at 46 dB insulation from the outside, or more accurately, giving the neighbors a 46 dB better fighting chance at midnight when I’m having too much fun with the Telarc 1812 canons.)

5) 8 #10 gauge dedicated circuits with one set of dual grounding rods right outside the listening room and another set of dual grounding rods at the main breaker box.

6) 3 2” PVC (ya I know) tubes in the cement floor from the front to the left rear speaker, the right rear and right under the sweet spot. The tubes to the speakers obviously have speaker cables and the center tube has the power cord and glass fiber interconnects for the transport and the also the wire for the remote control for the preamp.

7) Since the beams that hold up the rest of the house stick down into the listening area we put in coving so there wouldn’t be any 90 degree angles to cause bad reflections. We filled the space with rock wool batting held up with nylon webbing and covered with furnace filters (so we won't have fiber raining down on us. These are covered with some fairly good looking acoustically transparent cloth.

8) The floor had a slope of 5" from the center of the room off to the worst corner, we used something like 50 50 lb. bags of leveling compound to fix this up!

I took lots of pictures but I haven't really organized them much yet, I'll update the link below over time as I add some of them into my picture gallery.

My system has a few upgrades since I posted here last:

1) The Meitner CDSD transport.

2) HRS isolation platforms under the mono blocks and transport.

3) Jena Labs power ONE power cords for the amps and video stuff.

On the non-audio side:

1) 8 HD satellite feeds from a breakout box in the garage to the listening room (as well as the prewired feeds to the rest of the rooms in the house)

2) A HD Tivo to augment my older DirectTivo

3) The 40" Sony Wega to replace my older 36" Wega

4) A few more jukeboxes for SACDs, CDs and DVDs

Tho I've slowed down on buying software, the local store still loves to see me coming.

The system sounds pretty darn good.

Anyone who is ever in the Seattle area and would like to drop by, please give me a buzz.

Some Pictures

-Ted

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Howdy - An update - Ted Smith 01:58:56 04/25/06 (35)

You can not post to an archived thread.