Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Don't mess with it!!!!!

Electronic "tuning" DOES NOT WORK! No amount of filtering. EQ. or delays will correct for physical properties of a listening room. You'll only be cranking around the music recording to suit a meter or FFT analysis - and IT NEVER SOUNDS RIGHT!

BTW, pink noise is NOT music. A system set up with pink noise does not automatically mean music will sound correct in the room. I start with pink noise as a basic measuring starting point to get the playback levels in the ball park range. I then play a series of music "test pulses" (i.e. edited high rez music transients of various lengths to reveal a room's response in different areas). This is especially useful in multi-channel surround system setup. Using pink noise only gives false results as the noise is a relatively constant state source - music is a transient state source with instantaneous peaks and valleys.

I work in lots of difficult-to-impossible rooms employed as recording control rooms. The ONLY way to help a listening room is to change its physical characteristics with a careful combination of diffusion, traps and/or controlled absorbtion. I rely on RPG materials, especially the B.A.D. Panels, to do this best.

Less is More!

Best Regards,

Michael Bishop
Recording Engineer

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.