Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

A friend of mine once stated that....

any change is a loss for someone. The public, particularly the young public, has spoken and it is now pretty clear that silver discs, whatever flavor, will follow black vinyl ones in their move towards "niche-dom". The format of choice now the hard drive and quite frankly, I am puzzled as to why more high-end manufacturers have not embraced it as yet. Hard drives lack many of the jitter problems that plague CD/DVD transports and although most downloaded music today is compressed, there is no particular reason that it has to be.

My teenage kids prefer to listen to music on their cell phones despite the fact that they have access to a very nice system downstairs. Together they own a grand total of seven CD's. All the rest of their music is downloaded. A certain percentage of kids like them will become audiophiles. When they do, they will collect music the way they always have. They will legally download high resolution, uncompressed music from their favorite site and listen to it on a hard drive specially constructed for high audio quality. It will sound every bit as good as the music we listen to on SACD/DVD-A - maybe better. A second hard drive and maybe a third hard drive will serve as a backup and archive. The system itself will probably have mirrored drives for data redundancy.

Sordidman is right. The web provides far more information about an artist than the PR blurbs on the album cover and album art went the way of the buggy whip when they miniturized it to fit on the front of a CD. The new generation of audiophiles will continue to regard old farts like myself that like to accumulate plastic discs (both silver and black) with an amused tolerance.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • A friend of mine once stated that.... - Pacman 07:30:29 10/18/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.