Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Speaker position?

*** You might be getting fewer reflections from the wall, but you're getting worse reflections from the side of the cabinet. ***

maybe, but there's no clear path for these reflections to get to the listening position, because they then get absorbed by the back curtains. You have to understand, i've done some thinking about this.

*** It depends on what you're listening to and the loudspeakers, but all reflections are inherently bad and should be avoided ***

Not necessarily. Most speakers are designed assuming reflections from a back wall. There's lots of evidence that anechoic rooms are very bad for audio, so not all reflections are inherently bad.

What you want is some liveliness from the room, but not a completely dead one. The prevailing opinion is to make one wall relatively uncluttered (usually the front wall), and make all the other walls either "complex" (ie. the equipment rack, bookshelves, etc.) or dampened (ie. using curtains or other sound absorbing material) or "open". And either the ceiling or the floor should be dampened (carpet or rug works).

This is exactly what i've done with the current setup.

*** But for movies, the surrounds should be diffuse and sometimes wall reflections help ***

You should do a search, there's been a thread on this. "surrounds should be diffuse" is NOT generally considered best practice anymore - this was (is) a THX recommendation, and THX is wrong. diffuse surrounds completely destroy imaging. Look at the setup for the mixing soundstage at Skywalker Sound, they aim for pinpoint imaging just as i do.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Speaker position? - Christine Tham 15:43:29 08/07/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.