Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Just finished watching the LOTR:ROTK EE and listening to some SACDs and CDs

Watched the DVD using the DTS 6.1 ES Discrete soundtrack, after adjusting for speaker levels and distances on the Cary.

All I can say is, wow! I've never heard the soundtrack this good before, not even at the Embassy Theatre in Wellington NZ which was equipped under Peter Jackson's supervision for the premiere.

I can hear reverb on the dialogue, and the reverb decay and ambience is different from scene by scene and location by location. I can also hear that the orchestra plays pretty much continuously in the background, not just when the music swells up. Also, the sound effects like the Nazgul scream, explosions, thunder rolls etc. are just awesome!

The imaging from the rear speakers are superb, i can hear subtle pans in foley effects behind me, so it's not just something coming from the left, something from the right, and something directly behind. and of course front imaging is excellent, even minor details like footsteps track the location of characters on screen.

i also just finished recalibrating the colour temperature of the LCD projector (the colours have drifted somewhat due to bulb age, the lamp is reaching nearly 2000 hours and everthing had a bit of a green tinge) and the picture quality is fantastic! The 11HT projector calibrated, and using a CC40R filter IMHO still stands well against the latest DLP projectors, and there's no rainbow effect :-) Despite the bulb age, contrast is still pretty good, around 400:1 (real world figure, as opposed to brochureware specs) based on my latest measurements.

SACDs are amazing on this system. Titles that I thought were so-so on my previous system really come alive in the new system. Even CDs sound wonderful. So far, the only thing that sounds bad are LPs. I'm hearing quite a bit of inner groove distortion - looks like I still need to experiment further with vibration isolation, and maybe seriously consider replacing the glass platform with an MDF board.

It's amazing how a good system can make even mediocre music sound wonderful. For fun, I put on Peter White Glow - an album I've always thought was so-so and music bordered on muzak. Wow, this album sounds positively electrifying in the new system! I originally put it on as background music, but ended up listening to the whole album!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.