Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Mixing: "Brothers in Arms"

My buddy Chuck Ainlay spent about three months doing the surround mix on this at Mark Knopfler's surround room in London. Chuck has been working with Mark on all his projects for quite some time.

Anyone that knows Chuck's surround mixing work knows he will bring "BIA" to a whole new level of listening experience. Chuck described Mark's room, equipped with a full surround ATC scm-300 monitor system, as the best surround room he ever worked in. He was thrilled with the results he was getting from the masters and the system.

To those that think mixing from a 44.1 16-bit source will not yield any advantages over the original, consider this: D/A technology and quality has come a L-O-N-G way since "BIA" was originally produced. Far more resolution is possible now from the source than what the original D/As were capable of back then. Additionally, the new surround mix was performed in the analog domain - not through a 44.1 digital mixer! Chuck would have made full use of every great analog and/or digital tool at his disposal during the surround mix.

I, for one, will be anxiously awaiting MY copy of "Brothers in Arms," which I'm certain I'll use as a surround playback reference source.

Best Regards,

Michael Bishop
Recording Engineer

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.