Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: really - the death of the dream that SACD will supplant the CD

I will tell you why, most younger buyers think mp3 sounds great, they rip cd's from the web, hip hop in SACD please, new pop that is electronic sounding why even bother, SACD won't improve poor production. Crap in crap out.

Look at major recording Artist they have a hard time getting there songs on the radio today, you have 3 choices, rap, country and classic rock / oldies stations. Why because about three or four major companies own most of the radio stations and use a set format, disc jockeys are card readers now, the music is programmed to a format, one state DJ told me the play about 375 of the same songs and rotate them between time slots.

Most Classical music is having a hard time even getting a recordings contract because sells are so weak! Jazz is the same unless it soft corporate jazz. I.E…. fluff.

Jazz and Classical have natural over tones, real recordings using real instruments etc. So who buys the better audio equipment baby boomers, which still buys music the baby boomers, if records companies were smart they be focusing on the biggest buying group in America, yes the baby boomers?

They still focus on the 18 to 30 years old group, well that was true once when the baby boomers were that age group, they were the mass buyers, of course like all big businesses they still follow the old school of thought on marketing, which no longer is valid.

The heavy releases in Jazz and the Classics SCAD is because they are viewed as the buyers of the above music, and for the most part still care about the quality of the recordings.

Sony shortly will combine with RCA/BMG when that happens look out, most RCA/BMG recordings are now being released in DSD, most remastered at Sony..nuff said!

All this talk about SCAD dieing is missing the point, well recorded music is dieing the masses are accepting lower standards on quality music to began with, now a fast down load at .99 a song, if you add it up they are paying more for the downloads the what a cd would cost new. I have a friend who brags she has 750 songs on her I-Pod and takes it with her where ever she goes. That is the problem; add the loss of sells and revenue to a records company.

We as audiophiles are a minority; we argue among ourselves while we let this hobby die, who listens to music anymore, it all background noise; the Bose wave radio is a huge seller for Bose, why? Because it sounds good enough for most people.

SCAD, DVD-A or what ever format improves recorded music will suffer if all you look at is sales, we audiophiles are about the only ones who are still willing to pay for well recorded music, this is not a Sony, BMG or any other corporate made problem, it where the consumers are not spending there money on anymore. I won’t even mention the down loading problems of recorded music.

They are rather buy a DVD movie to watch on their new Plasma / LCD Screen with 5 speaker package, why because it is fresh and a new idea that is hip today.

Write a letter to the record company, get involved, those who bitch about SACD not making it, is missing the point, it making it with a certain group, the majority think I-Pod sounds good enough!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: really - the death of the dream that SACD will supplant the CD - PhillyB 00:44:07 01/26/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.