Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Whow are you going to satisfy with that little market.....

ME!!! (to modify a very old joke)

I really don't care whether SACD becomes a mass market format. I never thought it would. I don’t care about the fact that rock under 30 years old isn't on SACD. I only care that there are enough jazz and classical SACDs to keep me happy. Yes I like geriatric rock music as well as the next boomer. But if I can't get it on SACD there is always vinyl Even if they stopped producing SACDs today (which they won't) I'd be very happy with my investment. With over 2400 SACDs to choose from and new ones coming out every week, I not going to run out of albums to buy anytime soon. SACD has a strong future as a niche format.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a niche format. Ask any vinyl guy. In fact the niche format encourages better sound quality as the companies who sell SACDs are selling to an audience that cares about sound quality.

I have been contributing to this column since the first SACD players came out. About once every three weeks there is the obligatory SACD is dead post. The future of recorded music isn’t SACD, or DVD-A or Dual-Disc, or Blu-Ray or any other new format. It is the computer. The only ones who haven’t figured that one out are the record companies.

But vinyl was being called a dead format long before SACD was even a gleam in a Sony scientist’s eye. And here we are seeing steadily increasing vinyl sales. SACD is the same.

In fact guys, this may come as a shock to you but high-end audio is a niche format. Most of my non-audiophile friends think I’m nuts when they realize how much I spent on audio equipment. And I didn’t even get a new TV to go along with it!!! Heck, they might be right. After all, this is the asylum…

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Whow are you going to satisfy with that little market..... - Pacman 19:46:38 01/24/05 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.