Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: I believed in the 4 Phase Sony's Game Plan to replace the CD with Hybrid SACDs, but it's been over 5 years!!!

Sony's plan seems to be to keep in the market $300 SACD players that sound no better then their redbook counterparts ( why, I can't figure) and be too slow to not drop redbook/only versions from the shelves. It makes you wonder if they had a marketing plan at all.

If they had made 2 players in the $300 to $500 range that sounded as good as a very good redbook player they would have had something. Mullti-channel SACD was not enough smoke and mirrors to cover up poor analogue output stages and poor trasfers to SACD. Any 2-channel shootout proved that.

We will continue to wait and see what Sony really wants to do with this format. I am pleased that more titles are coming out from new sources, but we 1%'rs who make up high end buyers are not enough $$$ to make a very big difference.

I somehow wish that someone would have tried 24 bit/88.2 as the high rez recording format as standard and distributed it on dual sided discs that would have allowed easier truncation to std CD RedBook. Heck, I'd have taken 16/88.2 which I've heard some prominent recording enginners tried and liked very much.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: I believed in the 4 Phase Sony's Game Plan to replace the CD with Hybrid SACDs, but it's been over 5 years!!! - tavegia@bellsouth.net 17:07:00 01/24/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.