Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: The Slow Death of SACD

I don't know about the death of SACD, but I do feel like it has been rolled into an empty emergency room and yet we wait for some assistance. Why do I say that?

I have been listening to a inexpensive Sony DVD/SACD player the CDP NS755V and can tell you that when you play the SACD layer on it and compare it to my Jolida JD100 with the same disc in RedBook, the Jolida wins hands down. Some may say that is not a fair fight, but I believe that the improved high-rez format should account for something, but if it does, it is not enough to overcome a poor anolgue back end of the Sony 755V. I have asked Chris Johnson of the Parts Connexion about a mod for the front 2 channels of this player.

I think this is why the new high-rez formats have not taken hold with the general public...they can't hear any difference with DVD-A or SACD on lower priced players. As we all have read in verious publications, including I believe Stereophile, that you may be better off buying a great redbook CD player than in a lesser Universal player just to be able to play the new formats. The Norah Jones SACD is a case in point brought out by John Marks of Stereophile. Just copying the redbook into SACD is NOT an improvement. "Say it ain't so, Joe," they asked of the great Shoeless Joe Jackson of the Black Sox baseball scandal. This is an audible and verifiable endeavor this hobby of ours.

The Sony with its 12 bit 108 MHZ video chip is good, so all is not lost. Maybe SACD was really more about copy protection after all. Although I'll bet through an Esoteric, Musical Fidelity, or Linn player the SACD experience is great.

I just don't see enough software to justify a jump to $5-$10 K for a player. If you can afford to have one I'm sure it is one great experience. I have heard the less expensive universal Denon's in modded form and they are very, very nice and great bang for the buck.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: The Slow Death of SACD - tavegia@bellsouth.net 16:49:36 01/24/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.