Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: US version Vs Japanese version

I believe it has to do with more attention to quality in manufacturing and other steps. Regardless of who did the transfer, I have noticed that Japanese imports often sound better or at least different than US counterparts, even when the same transfer has been used to produce both versions.

This is true in the case of Blue Note RVG and JRVG series where Van Gelder used the same tape, the same transfer method and delivered glass master transfers for production in Japan. (I believe the transfer was the same in some cases.) It is probably true in the case of the Wilder-transferred SACDs and JSACDs from Sony (I evaluated the Round Midnight versions and did not find the JSACD audibly better, but there were minor differences). And it may also be true of the Verve/UMG --and judging by David Robinson's and Norm's findings, they are indeed very different.

Audiophiles have long noticed that using specific CD-Rs or treating the CDs in various ways will audibly improve digital content. I believe disc manufacturing alone is enough to explain some of these differences we perceive. Of course, when you are talking about a completely different transfer, which can involve different source material, that's another matter entirely.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: US version Vs Japanese version - Jazz Inmate 12:23:40 01/03/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.