Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Was: First impression; Now: break-in

Thanks for the information. 200-300 hours to really hit the sweet-spot seems to be the concensus.

In the several short sessions since getting the player back, I've already noted the player's presentation becoming more coherent. Cold out of the box it was rather "sensational" in a hi-fi sort of way, a bit disjointed with parts of the music seeming more forward, and calling attention to themselves at the expense of the musical whole.

Even with a modest number of hours in play, the APL SACD 1000 now sounds much better balanced and integrated. What's the TAS buzzword? Continuousness. . . right.

As a someone formally trained and still working in the industrial electrical and electronics field (and one who tries to maintain a healthy though not rigid skepticism) I'm not sure what break-in mechanisms I'd postulate, other than capacitor forming effects. Certainly some of this is probably just my own ear/brain system learning to cope with the sheer quantity and quality of sonic data the APL machine is deluging me with. 8^) Regardless, I'm loving what I am hearing every time I sit down to play music. And it seems to get better each time. . .

Great that you are able to help out Alex. I'm sorry I'm going to have to miss CES this year -- I'd like to shake his hand.

Best regards,

Steve Z

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Was: First impression; Now: break-in - zettelsm 05:50:55 12/31/04 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.