Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: "Willie & the Poor Boys" there is nothing othe SACD

Hi Jack,

At the risk of being waaay out of forum, I've got to say the work Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman did on the CCR vinyl is superb. When Chad first brought out the 33 1/3 CCR LPs I picked up a couple to compare to two of the original Fantasy deep-grove blue & gold label LPs I've had for years. The originals were pretty decent, actually, very good as rock LPs of that era -- the reissues were significantly better in all aspects.

Then, I had a chance to hear some test-pressings that Chad had had done at 45 rpm on 12 inch vinyl. I was astonished. Granted, I heard them on a world-class system, but the presence and immediacy of the 45 rpm tracks provided some of the best vinyl playback I'd ever experienced. For the next year-and-a-half I waited impatiently (and periodically bugged Chad by e-mail) for Acoustic Sounds to get it in gear and release the CCR stuff in 45 rpm.

Finally, this year the 12" 45 rpm box set of CCR "Best Of's" came out (I think I've got set #0067 out of the limited run) as well as single 12" 45 EPs with 2 to 4 tracks selected from each CCR album. At $20 per, they are a nice way to see if you like them before popping for the complete box set.

I don't know that I'd ever call my home system "world class" but it isn't too shabby, and over my Edgarhorns, CCR simply ROCKS via 45 rpm.

I guess all of this is by way of agreeing with the posters on this thread that knowing Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray's high standards and proven quality of work, I'd have a hard time believing the SACDs are chrome cassette quality. Then again, if one's standard of reference is a $150 POS SACD deck, I guess anything is possible. . .

Thanks for the bandwidth (and no, I have no affiliation with Chad, Steve, Kevin, CCR, Fantasy Records, the Secret Audiophile Society, the CIA or the Republican National Committee. . .)

Steve Z

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.