Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Subjective verses objective review discrepancy: the McCormack Audio UDP-1 Universal Player

"How bad must a player measure before we notice?"
I have observed this phenemenon before with a Perpetual Technologies DAC and Processor. The DAC was fine on it's own, but when the processor was added all I got was very high noise. From what I understand John Atkinson found the measurements of the DAC alone to be very good, but with the processor they were very bad. The critics at Stereophile found the combination to sound wonderful, and I found it to be excessively noisey with poor dynamic range.
I really think your question should be: "How qualified are the subjective critics who write for these magazines?" My answer is; very few are and most aren't.
Given the measurement techniques in use today, it is fair to say that if something measures well it is at least mediocre but could be very good. If it measures poorly it really is pretty bad.
The Ever Evil Doctor Steel

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Subjective verses objective review discrepancy: the McCormack Audio UDP-1 Universal Player - Dan Banquer 08:33:48 12/28/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.