Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Not at all...

but ALL subsequent players - SONY or otherwise - use DACs that in one way or another lose the "analogness" of the original pure bitstream format. It's hard to tell exactly what goes on inside these newer DAC chips, but none are bitstream - and very few of the players present them with a differential digital signal (as used in the original SONYs) which I believe (not proven) allows subsequent signal processing to be simplier and hence less sonically offensive.

And (again) I repeat - the clock signals in all the lower priced multiformat players is WAY complex! For example, in the 999ES (Page 4-19 in the service manual) the (one) clock chip has a 27MHz xtal connected to two pins and outputs this 27MHz, AS WELL AS three other non harmonically related frequencies.. Tricky - and very hard to get the clock accuracy and lack of jitter that I consider VITAL for great sound.

Our upgrades cost around $1000 which is not beer money - so why not start from a better place?

Allen

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.