Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Single layer vs dual layer - you mean Kind of Blue?

All 4 versions sound different.

I have the Japanese stereo single-layer pressing from Shizouka factory, the US stereo single-layer pressing, the M-ch/stereo US single-layer pressing and the latest Hybrid M-ch/stereo pressing from DADC pressing plant, Indiana. They all sound different.

While different pressing plant's inherent quality and chemical make-up of the polycarbonate can explain for some of the sonic differences, the fact that the 2 newer US pressings is clearly better than the original stereo US pressings suggests that they have been through some subsequent re-mastering through better ADCs from EMM Labs.

The Japanese stereo is favourite, but the hybrid disc comes pretty close. In some ways I might actually grow to like the hybrid versions since while the Japanese plant produces better sonics, the earlier releases for may titles I suspect were subjected to some unnecessary processing in the PCM domain. The same observation was also made from Toto IV and Time Out, of which I also have 4 different versions. Interestingly, the JSACD may also have been remastered at a slower tape speed. I have had 2 people making the same observation to me on Toto IV (including Christine Tham and a dealer in South Africa).

I look forward to adding hybrid version of Carol Kings' Tapestry to my collection for further confirmation.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.