Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Gear bashing

Over the past few years I have often read posts from people bashing equipment they've never heard. I guess it shouldn't surprise me, but for some reason it still does.

At least you admitted it, which is more than most bashers do.

Before you automatically assume the superiority of newer equipment over the SCD-1, you should listen to one. You might also hearken to reviewers who have listened to the SCD-1 and newer gear. For instance, in a fairly recent review of Sony's current flagship SACD player in The Absolute Sound, the reviewer commented that the newer flagship player doesn't sound as good as the SCD-1. I've seen several other reviews that say similar things.

There is no doubt in my mind that there are better players out there than the SCD-1, but not all of them are better. I own an SCD-1, which I am most emphatically NOT wedded to. I'm actually on the search to replace it. What I've found is that in order to meet or exceed its (stock) performance I'm going to have to pay MORE money than it cost me (a lot more), not less as you assert.

Back to my topic though - ignorant gear-bashing may be a time-honored tradition here, but it's still a jerky thing to do.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Gear bashing - racerguy 03:51:18 10/12/04 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.