Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

SCD-1

"It is still, however, regarded as a very competitive SACD player"

Without having heard this player (or its sibling) I take issue with this oft-repeated claim. It's widely acknowledged that the SCD-1 benefits greatly from a better clock (so despite its heft it's not without jitter issues) and its output stage has been roundly criticized. I suggest that if you listen to current players at significantly less than the SCD-1's original cost, you might be amazed how much better you can do. In the right hands, the SCD-1 would appear to make a great base for mods, but that's about it ... or at least this is the conclusion I've come to based on reading hundreds of relevant posts here.

That said, I think the Mercury Living Presence series (I'm still working my way through these) would be a much better base for any such format comparison than the Living Stereo set (which I thought were just OK). But inevitably you're still comparing player/format combinations. I tend to simply judge discs on their own merits ... was the outlay worth the music/performance/sonics.

Stephen

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.